Arriving in Sibu, Sarawak, Malaysia
In multi-cultural Malaysia, you will have the opportunity to experience different practices and experiences that are unique to Malaysia. Our International Student Office will be happy to help you if you have any questions.
Malaysia is one of the safest countries worldwide and absolutely safe to travel to any part of the country. Nevertheless, we still have to take these precautionary steps:
- Street crime: Particularly in tourist areas: pickpockets and bag snatchers. Self-defence is the same anywhere: wear your purse/bag strap over your chest (not just dangling from your shoulder) and hold your bag close.
- Women travellers should be sensitive to local customs and attitudes.
- Do not leave your laptop in a vehicle parked in a car park.
- It is always safer to travel with an acquaintance than alone.
- Do not enter a taxi if someone is already in the taxi in addition to the driver.
- Be observant with everything around you.
- If you are travelling late at night, go in a group. If the distance is a long walk, use a taxi.
- Don’t visit cash-points alone at night.
- Do not use your mobile phone or personal stereo when walking alone in the street at night.
Upon arrival at Sibu Airport, students are required to find their way to the Immigration Section. If you are confused, please approach the airport staff in uniform for assistance.
After you are cleared from the airport, please check your luggage and other important documents. Make sure you have them all. Call the International Student Office to inform your arrival. You need to buy a taxi coupon from the counter in the airport before you can take a taxi available outside the airport. The taxis are in yellow and red colour. Tell the taxi driver that you would like to go to MPI and the journey takes about 25 minutes.
The student must report to the International Student Office upon arrival. Our staff will assist you in settling down in MPI.